Below are the top 5 ways to make sure the transition from home to child care is easier…
Any child at any age can be ready for childcare. It depends on how we as adults approach the situation. If we are going to be anxious, nervous, upset and clingy with our child, then we need to expect our children to display these same behaviors.
Make the transition a positive experience by:
- Get your child a ‘childcare’ bag, so they can get excited about it. It also provides them with a belonging they can have with them at the centre
- Be positive about the new venture with your child. If you are excited about it hopefully they will be as well
- Visit the centre prior to them officially starting so they know the environment and have met their caregivers
- Have a routine from day 1 when dropping your child off at the centre, so they always know what to expect. This could include putting the bag away, reading a story together or doing a puzzle and then leaving.
- ALWAYS say good bye to your child even if they have a few tears. Let them be aware you are leaving otherwise they can feel forgotten. They need to know you are leaving and you will be back.
Give your child a few weeks to adjust to the big changes in their lives and hopefully this will see you all sailing with your new childcare adventure.